CARE-C presents at EGU General Assembly 2020
Groups of researchers of the Climate and Atmosphere Research Center (CARE-C) from both the Environmental Predictions Department and Environmental Observations Department, presented their work in this year’s General Assembly of the European Geosciences Union (EGU).
The EGU is Europe’s premier geosciences union, dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in the Earth, planetary, and space sciences for the benefit of humanity, worldwide. Its annual General Assembly is the largest and most prominent European geosciences event, attracting more than 16,000 scientists from all over the world. The meeting’s sessions cover a wide range of topics, including volcanology, planetary exploration, the Earth’s internal structure and atmosphere, climate, energy, and resources.
This year’s meeting took place over the week of 4 – 8 May, 2020, and due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was conducted entirely online through the “Sharing Geosciences Online” platform. Due to the new format, the meeting focused on inter- and transdisciplinary sessions, disciplinary sessions, Union symposia, and great debates.
Presentations from CARE-C researchers spanned a variety of thematic areas across atmospheric sciences, climate and the environment, and included the following:
- A Case Study of Weather Radar Data Assimilation into the Harmonie Numerical Weather Prediction System by Silas Michaelides, Serguei Ivanov, Igor Ruban, Demetris Charalambous, and Filippos Tymvios
- An up-to-date assessment of temperature extremes over the MENA region from observational and CIMP5 data by Athanasios Ntoumos, Panos Hadjinicolaou, Georgios Zittis, and Jos Lelieveld
- Future trends of precipitation extremes in the eastern Mediterranean by George Zittis, Adriana Bruggeman, Panos Hadjinicolaou, and Jos Lelieveld
- Miniaturized, Lightweight, Cost-effective and Fast Response Particle Classifier by Nikoleta Lekaki, Marinos Costi, George Biskos, and Anne Maisser
- Seasonal variability of submicron aerosol acidity at a coastal site in the Eastern Mediterranean by Anna Maria Neroladaki, Iasonas Stavroulas, Irini Tsiodra, Stelios Myriokefalitakis, Anthanasios Nenes, Nikos Mihalopoulos, and Maria Kanakidou
- Improvement of a low-cost CO2 commercial NDIR sensor for UAV atmospheric profiling applications by Yunsong Liu, Jean-Daniel Paris, Mihalis Vrekoussis, Panayiota Antoniou, Marios Argyrides, Christos Constantinides, Dylan Desbree, Neoclis Hadjigeorgiou, Christos Keleshis, Olivier Laurent, Andreas Leonidou, Carole Philippon, Panagiotis Vouterakos, Pierre-Yves Quehe, Philippe Bousquet, and Jean Sciare
For more information on the EGU meeting visit www.egu2020.eu